Reading and Internet Lists
Please find a list of resources on a variety of subjects on this page.
Provided by Philip Resnick
- Emmanuel Carrere, Lives Other than my Own
- Yan Lianke, Three Brothers: Memories of my Family
- Amos Oz, A Tale of Love and Darkness
- Marjane Satrapi, Persepolis
Provided by Sneja Gunew
- No Friend but the Mountain: Writing from Manus Prison, Trans. Omid Tofighian. Sydney: Pan Macmillan. 2018. (available at UBC Library; VPL; Amazon etc.
- Link to Wikipedia on Behrouz Boochani
- Link to video on youtube video on Behrouz Boochani (30 mins)
Provided by Sherrill Grace
- Link to video on launch of the book Tiff: A Life of Timothy Findley, in conversation with Kel Pero (60 mins)
- Podcast with Sherrill Grace on Timothy Findley (20 mins)
- Julian Barnes, The Main in the Red Coat. Random House 2019
- Sherril Grace, Tiff: A Life of Timothy Findley. Wilfred Laurier UP, 2020
- Hermione Lee, Virginia Woolf's Nose: Eassays on Biography. Princeton UP, 2005
- Rosemary Sullivan. Shadow Maker: The Life of Gwendolyn MacEwen. (HarperCollin, 1995)
- 1983 film adaption of The Wars, Findley's iconic novel. Link will follow in December. YouTube will screen it on December 8th.
Provided by Graeme Wynn
- Graeme Wynn, Alison's Excellent Adventure. A reflection on the writing of a memoir
- The long echo of WW2 - (https://www.bbc.com/news/stories-48528841/)
- The Trauma of WW2 might outlast its survivors - (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2015/08/07/the-trauma-of-world-war-ii-might-outlast-its-survivors/)
Provided by Judy Hall
- Chapter Title: Echoes Across Generations; Authors: Patricia M. Schulte and Judith G. Hall: https://www.jstor.org/stable/j.ctvbtzpfm.9?seq=1#metadata_info_tab_contents
- Article: Evolution is evolving: 13 ways we must rething the theory of nature. Authors: Michael Le Page, Colin Barras, Richard Webb, Kate Douglas and Carrie Arnold. New Scientist - Click on link to PDF
Information provided by Chris Friedrichs, UBC Professor Emeritus of History
- Paul Slack, Plague: A Very Short Introduction (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012). A useful overview that deals with the entire history of plague, with a good bibliography.
- Carlo M. Cipolla, Faith, Reason and the Plague in Seventeenth-Century Tuscany (New York: Norton, 1979). A classic short description of how the plague impacted a single town in Italy.
- James Amelang, ed., A Journal of the Plague Year: The Diary of the Barcelona Tanner Miquel Parets, 1651 (New York/Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991). The text of the diary of a working man in Catalonia who lost most of his family to the plague.
- A. Lloyd Moote and Dorothy C. Moote. The Great Plague: The Story of London's Most Deadly Year (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2004). A well-regarded treatment of the topic.
- The Diary of Samuel Pepys: Daily Entries from the 17th Century London Diary - (https://www.pepysdiary.com/diary/)
This website includes the complete text of every entry in the famous diary of Samuel Pepys from 1660 to 1669. By clicking on any month during the second half of 1665, you can read Pepys’ frequent references to the plague in London.
- Daniel Defoe A Journal of the Plague Year (1722). - (https://www.gutenberg.org/files/376/376-h/376-h.htm)
This is not an eyewitness account; it was written more than half a century after the Great Plague in London which it described, but Defoe had done extensive research. The full text is available from Project Gutenberg EBook of A Journal of the Plague Year
- Nicola Stanbridge, “DNA confirms cause of 1665 London’s Great Plague,” BBC Today, 8 Sept. 2016 (https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37287715).
Discusses the scientific evidence that the plague of 1665 in London was caused by the bubonic plague virus (yersinia pestis) which is still endemic today.
- Book: Laurie Garrett, The Coming Plague: Newly Emerging Diseases in a World Out (Penguin Books, 1995) - Title provided by Marc Levine, UBC Professor Emeritus of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Internet resources: http://www.iceho.org/reading-in-the-time-of-covid-19