The UBC Emeritus College organizes many memorable events.
Please find a list of youtube videos of the events the College has organized in the past.
Future Energy: How Climate Change, Sustainability and Geopolitical Stability is Transforming the Path Forward with David Wilkinson on January 19, 2023
Nicholas Coops and Lori Daniels, Faculty of Forestry on November 17, 2022
Health, Equity and Collaborations as Catalystst for Regional Climate Adaptation in BC with Craig Brown on October 20, 2022
Political Obstacles and Opportunites for Canadian Climate Policy with Kathryn Harrison on September 22, 2022
CURAC 2022 Virtual Assembly. hosted by the University of British Columbia Emeritus College, University of Victoria Retirees Association and Simon Fraser University Retirees Association on May 19, 2022.
CURAC 2021 Virtual Assembly hosted by the McGill University Retiree Association on April 15, 2021: Short Clip of award presented to Ken Craig starting at 1:29:28
CURAC 2021 Tribute Award to Ken Craig - Full Clip of the Award Ceremony
Tuesday, April 12, 2022
C+CP Team presented the current stage in the Campus Vision 2050 plan: the Draft Principles and Strategies to Emeritus College members. Members we invited to ask questions and provide insights to contribute to the ongoing planning process.
Healthy Ageing on October 1, 2021.
Co-sponsored by UBC Emeritus College and the European Association of Professors Emeriti (EAPE), an Athens, Greece-based organization, this session spotlights the UN’s “Decade of Healthy Ageing” (2021-2030) and International Day of Older Persons on Oct. 1. It also marks the first international collaboration for Emeritus College, started in 2018 as a resource supporting UBC faculty and senior academic administrators in the transition to retirement through academic work, mentoring, research and publishing.
The Medical Legal History of Assisted Dying in Canada with Dr. Derryck Smith on May 13, 2021
Dr. Derryck Smith, Clinical Professor Emeritus, Psychiatry, will speak about The Medical Legal History of Assisted Dying in Canada. Dr. Smith is a Vancouver-based psychiatrist, still active in clinical teaching of medical students and residents.
Moderator: Carolyn Gilbert, UBC Assistant Professor Emerita of Audiology and Speech Sciences (2006)
Launch of Pandemic Poems by Philip Resnick
with participation of: Dianne Newell (UBC) Seymour Mayne (University of Ottawa) George McWhirter (UBC) Sherry Simon (Concordia University) Doug Todd (Vancouver Sun)
- Conversations on Features of a Post-pandemic Society: Three Perspectives, March 30, 2022
- Conversation on Models, October 20, 2021
- Conversation on Climate Change, January 12, 2021
- Conversation on Writing Lives, December 1, 2020
- Conversation on Intergenerational Trauma, October 21, 2020
- Conversation on Pandemics, September 16, 2020
General Meeting in 2021-2022
- Annual Genreal Meeting with David P. Wilkinson on May 4, 2022
- General Meeting with Alfred Hermida on March 23, 2022
- General Meeting with Daniel Heath Justice on February 9, 2022
- General Meeting with Susan Herrington with a Tribute to Cornelia Hahn Oberlander on October 6, 2021
General Meetings in 2020-2021
- Annual General Meeting with Business Meeting, Awards Ceremony and Bruce Jakosky on May 19, 2021
- General Meeting "Art on the Side" with Ann Hilton, Philip Resnick and Andrew Seal on March 17, 2021
- Slide Show General Meeting "Art on the Side" Slide Show on March 17, 2021
- General Meeting with Alan Sens and Richard Price on February 17, 2021
- General Meeting with Lara Boyd on November 25, 2020
- General Meeting with Isobel Mackenzie on September 30, 2020
This session focused on economic performance and set the scene for the subsequent two sessions:
1. The current situation in the Canadian economy
2. The 'trade-off' between viral risks and economic recovery
3. Policy measures for recovery monetary and fiscal policy
4. Prospects for the global economic recovery
Speaker: Dr. Michael Devereux, UBC Vancouver School of Economics. Dr. Devereux is a distinguished economist specializing in International Macroeconomics and International Finance. He is an invited speaker at numerous universities and has had connections with various central banks and financial organizations. https://economics.ubc.ca/faculty-and-staff/michael-devereux/
Moderator: Dr. Alfred Hermida, Director UBC School of Journalism, Writing and Media
- Fes de Scally, Earth, Environmental and Geographic Sciences - The Passions That Drive Academic Life - March 22, 2022
- Frank Tester, Social Work - Do I Belong? Activism, Social Change and Commitment to ‘the Other’ - February 8, 2022
- Anne Gorsuch, History - Life Stories - January 11, 2022
- Pitman Potter, Law - Reflections from a China Scholar, November 9, 2021
- Carol Herbert - Family Practice - Making a Difference: Contributing to a Healthier Canada, October 12, 2021
- Kogila Moodley, Educational Studies - Stories of International Encounters with Racism, September 14, 2021
All videos are available on the Youtube channel of Green College. Below are the specific links per presentation.
- Carl Waters, Oceans and Fisheries - Adaptive Management: Learning to Manage Complex Natural Systems through Experience and Active Experimentation, March 18, 2021
- Michael Klein, Family Practice Medicine and Pediatrics- Childbirth for Grandparents: Childbirth as a Methaphor, February 11, 2021
- Jane Coop, Music - People and Places seen through an Artist's Eye, January 21, 2021
- Nancy Gallini, Economics - Adventures in Retirement: Building on skills as Academic Economist and Past Dean of Arts, October 15, 2020
- Tony Dawson, English - Making Friends with Shakespeare, September 30, 2020
- Paul Marantz, Political Science - Universities and the Search for Truth: The Unanticipated Education of an Idealist, February 13, 2020
- Douw Steyn, Earth and Ocean Sciences - Solving Puzzles, Applying Solutions: A Career in Air Pollution, January 10, 2019
- John O'Brian, Art History, Visual Arts and Theory - How to Photograph an Atomic Bomb - March 14, 2019
- Jerry Wasserman, Theatre and Film - Confessions of an Academic Dilettante or What I Learned from G. Gordon Liddy, December 5, 2019
- Ashok Kotwal, Economics - A Journey in Economic Development: Theory, Policy, Activism, October 11, 2018
- Indira Samarasekera, Metals and Materials Engineering - Of Serendipity, Steel and (Not Only Mechanical) Engineering, September 20, 2018
- Judy Hall, Medical Genetics and Pediatrics - Driven by Curiosity: A Life of Discovery in Clinical Genetics, October 3, 2017 - recorded by UBC Emeritus College
Covid walks in the neighbourhood: a photographic journey with Paul Steinbok, Professor Emeritus of Surgery on December 1, 2021